For some, flowers are the ultimate demonstration of love and affection on the big V-day. For me, the way to my heart is (and always will be) through cake. Particularly these delicious rose cupcakes.
Ingredients for the cakes
1 cup of sugar, 1⁄2 cup of unsalted butter (softened), a splosh of rose water, 3 large eggs, 1 3⁄4 cups of flour, a generous pinch of baking powder, and a splash of milk.
Ingredients for the icing
2 cups of icing sugar, 2/3 cup of unsalted butter (soft), a splosh of rose water, and a few generous drops of pink food colouring.
1. Cream the sugar and butter until pale and fluffy, then beat in the rose water. Add the eggs one by one and beat them into the mixture, adding some flour as you go to prevent it from curdling.
2. Sift in the flour and baking powder and a splash of milk. Stir it up, baby.
3. Spoon the batter into cases and put into a preheated oven (180) for 20 to 25 minutes. They are ready when slightly golden and a cocktail stick comes out clean.
4. When completely cool (be patient!), ice the little cakes. To make your icing, beat the butter until soft. Add the icing sugar and beat until smooth, mixing in the rose water and food colouring to make a perfect pink frosting.
5. Spoon over your cakes and top with a rose. Happy Valentine’s!