Cambridge beat Grinstead

20 November 2008

The Blues were brimming with a confidence that only comes from a 100% winning record that sees them atop the South of England Men’s Lacrosse Association league. East Grinstead was going to prove difficult opposition as they themselves held title aspirations. They arrived earlier than most teams, looked solid in the warm-up and seemed intent on maintaining their impressive form.

The game began at a rapid pace with both teams seeming intent on setting the agenda; choosing offence over defence in the opening stages. Cambridge however, gave away possession too frequently and struggled to get a foothold in the game. Ryan Flynn, in his last game for the Blues, broke the deadlock though on 15 minutes. In a frantic spell before the break, a goal apiece saw the score 2-1 in Cambridge’s favour at the break.

The second quarter continued in a similar vein, with both teams guilty of squandering possession. Two goals from Blues attackman Todd Nichols were cancelled out by two from East Grinstead. Grinstead came out rejuvenated after the break. Nichols completed his hat-trick but the visitors struck twice to tie the game. However, with the opposition clearly tiring, Blues co-captain Phil ? was instrumental in Cambridge taking a two-goal cushion into the final quarter.

Coach Tony Watson’s team-talk about maintaining possession clearly wasn’t listened to as East Grinstead scored shortly after the restart. From the resulting face-off, Hall immediately set up a fast break, resulting in another goal for Flynn. With solid and steady play for the remainder of the game, the Light Blues were able to come away with an 8-6 win. Player of the Match for Cambridge went to goalie Sam Spurrell who recorded 13 good saves, keeping Cambridge in contention throughout the match.

The Cambridge Blues have now won all five of their SEMLA league fixtures to date, and look forward to attempting to extend that record at East Coast Lacrosse in Norwich this Saturday.