Cambridge tennis held to 6-6 draw by Nottingham

Sam Ashcroft 31 October 2013

The Cambridge tennis team arrived in Nottingham keen to follow on from last week's victory over Warwick.

Number one doubles pair Constantine Markides (Wolfson) and Tim Prossor (Girton) started well, using strong serves and solid volleys to take on a difficult Nottingham pair. Unfortunately, a handful of unfortunate sudden-death deuces undermined an otherwise solid set , leaving Cambridge a set down, 4-6. Always optimistic, the captain and vice-captain fought back to win the second set 6-4. Unfortunately, despite having 2 match points, the Cambridge pair were unable to seal the deal, losing the third set tiebreak 9-11.

Meanwhile, Jamie Muirhead (Fitzwilliam) and veteran Sam Ashcroft (Magdalene) took on the Nottingham second pair. Despite a slow start, the Cambridge pair showed they were a class above their opponents, churning out a solid 6-3 6-1 victory.
Going into the singles, the Light Blues were determined start quickly and dominate. Unfortunately, this was not the case, with a torn calf muscle hampering captain Constantine Markides, who was forced to play far below his usual class.  Despite soldiering on for the team, he lost 0-6 2-6.

At number two, vice-captain Tim Prossor quickly stamped his dominance on his opponent, taking the first set 6-1. The second set was no challenge for the in-form Prossor, who raced to a comfortable 6-1 6-1 victory. This left the score standing at 2 matches apiece.

At number 3 singles, Sam Ashcroft took on a challenging if somewhat unenthusiastic opponent. The first set did not pose too much of a problem, as he took a 6-3 lead. The second set, however, proved to be much more of a challenge, as neither player could break the other's service game. During a long and intense game at 4-4, Ashcroft drew inspiration from his Greg Rudseski autograph acquired earlier that day, to break after the 6th deuce. The final score read a Cambridge victory 6-3 6-4.

The final singles match saw a rusty Jamie Muirhead having not played a competitive singles match for over a year. Despite powerful serves, solid backhands and good volleying, Muirhead was unable to break down his solid opponent. After a 3-1 Cambridge lead, the first set fell to the opponent 6-3. A similar second set ended the same way, 6-4.

The final score stood at 3 rubbers each, increasing the Cambridge team's resolve to defeat Nottingham at home later in the year.