Cocktails. A wondrous mixture of alcohol, fruity flavours and beautiful colour changes exemplary of non-Newtonian liquids. But who says that just because you don't drink alcohol, you’re not able to enjoy these great brews. Below are some delicious recipes for mocktails and cocktails, some with a distinct Halloween twist (the names may be cheesy, but the drinks are not). Enjoy!
The Delicious One: Poltergeist Punch
2 litres apple juice
125ml cup honey
1 orange sliced
1 cinnamon stick
1 tbsp coarsely chopped ginger
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp whole cloves
1 bay leaf
- Pour the apple juice, honey and orange slices in a large saucepan.
- For the spice-bag, add the cinnamon, ginger, all spice, bay leaf and cloves to a piece of cheesecloth and tie tightly.
- Add the spice bag to the saucepan.
- Bring to the boil and then leave to simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Remove the orange slices and spice bag.
- Leave to cool before serving; add ice to the bowl for perfect results
The Impressive One: Witch's Brew
500ml pineapple juice
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (or rum)
1/4 teaspoon Coconut Extract
3 drops red food Colouring
2 drops yellow food Colouring
1 litre sparkling white grape juice (or sparkling white wine)
2 tablespoons sugar
5 drops red food colouring
5 drops yellow food colouring
First, to rim the glasses:
- Put the sugar into a re-sealable plastic bag and add the food colouring.
- Knead the sugar until the colour and the sugar combine.
- Pour onto a small plate.
- Dip the rim of the glasses in water and then into the sugar to coat it.
For the Drink:
- Mix pineapple juice, almond extract, coconut extract and food colouring in a pitcher
- For each drink, pour 50ml pineapple juice mixture into a glass. Top with 100ml sparkling white grape juice.
- Put cranberries in the drink so they float on top.
The Savoury One: Cranberry Rosemary Crusher
3 sprigs of rosemary (plus more for decoration)
250ml of cranberry juice
500ml apple juice
- Add water to a covered pan and bring to a boil.
- Add the rosemary, simmer for 5 minutes on a lower heat.
- Remove from heat, cover and leave for an hour.
- Cool in fridge until ready to serve.
- Mix the apple and cranberry juice with the rosemary water.
- Decorate with rosemary sprigs and serve over ice.
The Simple One: Dirty Dr Pepper
- Put three ice cubes in a tumbler
- Add a slice of lime and a teaspoon of coconut flavouring
- Top up with Dr Pepper