Fire breaks out at Mill Rd restaurant

News Reporter 15 January 2009

A fire broke out at a restaurant in Cambridge last Thursday, leading to the evacuation of all the customers.

The small blaze broke out just outside the Royal Standard on Mill Road at 7.45pm on Thursday 8th January.

As the dining area rapidly filled with smoke all the customers were swiftly evacuated from the restaurant.

None sustained any injuries.

Despite initial reports suggesting that the fire was a result of a problem with the air conditioning unit in the property, it now appears that it was instead an energy fault just outside that started the blaze.

Cambridgeshire Fire Service was unavailable for comment on this.

Two crews from the Cambridgeshire Fire Service were immediately called to the scene of emergency, and after an hour’s work had tackled the blaze and returned the area to safety.

Mr Emdadur Rahman, new owner of the Royal Standard, praised the swift response of the fire brigade and thanked them for their assistance when speaking to The Cambridge Student (TCS).

The Royal Standard, once a public house, was bought early last year and renovated by Mr Rahman, reopening in 2008 as a restaurant serving a menu of Indian and Thai food.

Whilst work continues immediately outside The Royal Standard, Mr Rahman stressed that the fault has been fully repaired and that his restaurant is now open for “business as usual”.

James Baker

News Reporter